Danish version 

 The Author of This Site

 The Background

 The Landscape 

 Building the Position

 The Infantry and Trenches

 The Light Batteries

 The Heavy Batteries

 The Camps

 POW´s and other Prisoners

 Other Facilities

 Other Batteries

 The Zeppelin base Tönder

 The Remainings

   Fortress-Scandinavia.dk
 


 






















  















































 


The Northern German Defence Line 1916-18 (
Sicherungsstellung Nord)
 
Other Facilities in the Defence Line.

 
 To communicate between the batteries and from the defence line to the staff and observation stands,  telephones, radio and flash-signals
 were used.
 (The flash-signals in German are Blink-signal, the posts Blink-stations and the operator is a Blinker.) In the following referred to as Blink-
 stations.  We know not much about the telephone system, because nothing is left, we can assume a standard military field telephone
 system. We know more about the  Blink stations. We can assume that is has been some kind of a coded Morse system. A number of
 blinkstations were constructed in the area, both as towers and placed into barrows high in the terrain. In the last case, holes were made in
 the side, so the flash signals could be send.
 Blink-stations were placed at Knivsbjerg, Venbjerg, between Venbjerg and Hoptrup, Stenhøj, Björnskov, Gestrup, Toftlund, Vongshøj,
 Gasse Höje, Bredebro, Ballum, Juvre, Havneby and List on the island of Sylt. Furthermode there were placed two blink-stations in front of
 the defence line at Höjrup and Fjellumhöj.
 The lamp was driven by acetylene gas, and had an opening of 50 cm. Beside this an acetylene gas tank was needed and an oxygen
 battery were needed. The flashes (blink) were made by pushing a disk between the flame and the mirror in the lamp.
 It has been told, that the flashes in clear sunshine without field glasses easily could be seen at a distance of 15 km.
 Several reports from the battlefield confirmed, that the flash signals were the most effective and stabile field communication at the time.
 Signal flares could not be seen under shelling, telephone cables were vulnerable and the radios were not stabile. 
 In Jena, 1921, a memorial for the fallen Blinker (Die Deutchen Blinker) was raised in recognition of their great importance.
 The memorial
 was restored a few years ago.

 
 

 The Radio stations
 
 
There has been both mobile and more permanent radio stations. We know of these six:  Tamdrup Höj west of Aarösund,  Haderslev west,
 Knivsbjerg, Rödekro, Geestrup, Toftlund and the Zeppelin base in Tönder.  
Tamdrup Höj, Tönder og Rödekro we know was permanent
 stations.
 
Rödekro had 5 large antennas of timber, at a height of 85 meters. Later these were taken over by the Danish Army and used elsewhere.
 Two antennas in Viborg, two in the Ryvangen at Copenhagen and one in Odense (cut in two)

                   
                                     DrawingTelegraph Station Rödekro.                                                           Radio Station, Corps level.
                                        (One of the antennas is missing)
 

 The Railways

 
At the time rail roads was the fastest transport for the heavy equipment.  Long before the outbreak of the war, preparations were made in
 the area.
 Already when the rail road was constructed, platforms for the loading of heavy military equipment were made.  At Over Jerstal
 and Skärbäk very long platforms were made.    

 
                                      Military Railroad Engine

 The floodings
 
 Large flooding was prepared in front of the defence line.  We know not much about these planned flooding, except for the 16 constructions
 that were left in 1920.
 We now nothing about which or how large areas, or how long time was needed.